Back in 1922 Cecil Kimber, general manager for the Morris Garages in Oxford started to produce Morris cars fitted with sporty special
bodies. Those cars were from 1924 marketed under the M.G. (Morris Garages) name, The first (1.8 litre) model being called
the M.G. Super Sports (14/28). The 1928-29 cars were known as the M.G. 14/40.
In 1929 came the 2.5 litre M.G. 18/80, a developement of the Morris Six. An improved variant with stronger and wider
chassis and a four speed gear box called Mark II followed and was produced until 1932. Mark III or 18/100 "Tigress" was a
pure sports car built to international rules.
Only five Mark III were produced.
The 4 cyl Midget series:|
1929 meant the start for the Midget series. from now on the cars were made at Abingdon.
The 1929-32 M-Type Midget (8/33) was a developement of the 1928 Morris Minor with a overhead camshaft engine and a three speed box.
The body was made of plywood on a ashwood frame but in 1931 it was replaced by metal.
The 847cc engine gave 20 bhp at 4000 rpm. The camshaft was driven from the front of the engine via bevel gears and a vertical shaft.
Wheelbase was 198.1 cm (78") and a track 106.7 cm (42").
The car was produced until 1932 with several improvements including an optional 4 speed box and a supercharged 80 bhp variant.
The 8/33 racing variant was known as the "Double Twelve" and featured a 27 bhp engine, bigger fuel tank, lower doors and
engine cover with strap lock. 18 "Double Twelves" were produced.
The 1931-32 C-Type Midget was an development of the "Magic Midget" made for George Eyston to make an attempt on the
750cc class 24 hour record at Montlhéry. Known as the Montlhéry Midget the C type had a new chassis and a four speed gear box.
It was produced in non-superchared and supercharged wariants, the 746 cc (57 mm x 73 mm) engine of the latter producing
60 bhp at 6300 rpm. The wheelbase was 205.7 cm (81") and the track was the same as the M type.
The 1931-32 D-Type Midget used the engine from the M-Type in the chassis from the C-Type and was only available as a four seater.
The 1932-34 J-Type Midget was the next developement of the M-Type Midget with improved brakes and better chassis and a four speed box.
J1 was a four seater variant, J2 the two seater. The very popular J2 was with 660 kg heavier than the M type. The 847 cc
engine produced 36 bhp at 5500 rpm. Wheelbase was 218.4 cm (86"). The J3 and J4 were the corresponding race versions with a 746 cc engine
outfitted with a Powerplus supercharger. The engine on the J4 gave 72 bhp at 6000 rpm. Nine J4's were produced.
The 1934-36 P-Type Midget was a further developement of the J type with a stronger 847 cc or 936 cc engine with three bearings and
The 6 cyl Magna / Magnette series:
At the end of 1931 Cecil Kimber produced the M.G. variant of the 1930 Wolsey Hornet with a 6 cyl overhead camshaft engine,
actually the Morris Minor engine with two extra cylinders. Known as the 12/70 or F-Type Magna at was produced in 1931-32
It had a 1271 cc (57 mm x 83 mm) engine and produced 37 bhp at 4000 rpm. The four seater was know as F1 and the two seater with
bigger brakes the F2. The wheelbase of the latter was 238.8 cm (94") and the track 106.7 cm (42").
It was replaced by the 1933-34 L-Type Magna.
The L1 was the four seat variant and the L2 the 2 seater.
L2 used a smaller 1087 cc (57 mm x 71 mm) version of the 6 cylinder engine giving 41 bhp at 5500 rpm.
The 1932-34 K-Type Magnette was another developement of the F-Type Magna. The cars were bigger with a strengthed chassis and
wider with a track of 121.9 cm (48"). and the engine had magnetic ignition.
K1 was a 4 seater with a 274.3 cm (108") wheelbase and K2 an open 2 seater with the short 238.8 cm (94") wheelbase .
There were two variants, a 1087 cc engine (57 x 71) with a manual box giving 39 bhp at 5500 rpm and
a 1271 cc engine (57 mm x 83 mm) with a Wilson pre-selector box giving 48.5 bhp at 5500 rpm.
The 94" chassis racing variant was known as K3 Magnette
It had a supercharged 1087 cc engine (57 mm x 71 mm) giving 120 bhp at 6500 rpm. 33 K3 Magnettes were produced.
The 1934-36 N-Type Magnette replaced the K2 and K2.
The 2 seaters were known as NA.
It had a 1271 cc engine producng 56 bhp.
The wheelbase was ´43.8 cm (96")
Seven race cars called NE were produced.
The 750cc racing car series::|
In 1934 the Q-Type, a racing car for the 750cc class with a single seater body was produced in 8 copys.
The 746 cc (57 x 73) superchared engine developed an impressive 113 bhp at 7200 rpm. |
In 1935 the R-Type was a developement of the Q type. 10 cars were produced.
In June 1935 the new M.G. manager retired the company from racing and the Abingdon competition department was closed as was the excellent support to the racing