1 9 3 3


The work on 1933 season was divided between me and Hans Etzrodt, who wrote the account of almost all the major races and also contributed much to the appearence of the pages. The 1933 season was the first year that had the new format that later has been used for all the seasons. The original 1934-39 pages were planned for the limited Net resources available to me back in 1998 when every bit and byte had to be counted but now eight years later I'm glad I didn't have to worry about that any more but could give Hans more or less free hands to get the reports correct and complete. Some work is still to be done on the minor races but I think the current pages already set a new standard that I hope to keep up to in the future.
Leif Snellman
The information on these pages is derived mainly from period magazines. Great guidance was received primarily from the Swiss AUTOMOBIL-REVUE and I am indebted to those outstanding journalists for their diligent reporting. My gratitude extends to Tony Kaye for patiently editing the text material and Leif Snellman for his superb contribution, also providing the basis to write elaborate accounts of these long ago races, bringing them back to life. Several others have given valuable advice and corrected errors. I extend my gratitude to all those helpful enthusiasts.
Hans Etzrodt


The year was dominated by Alfa Romeo. Tazio Nuvolari was again the most commanding driver, a repeat from the year before when he was crowned European Champion. In 1933 he won seven grand prix races, the Mille Miglia with Decimo Compagnoni and the Le Mans 24-Hour race with Raymond Sommer. Monaco was the first Grand Prix in Europe where the positions of the starting grid were determined by practice times, the Marne Grand Prix followed as the second race utilizing the same procedure.

The formula for 1933 was the same as in prior years except that the minimum race distance for Grandes Épreuves decreased in 1933 to 500 km (312 mi). The five Grandes Épreuves were organized to this formula with the exception of the Grand Prix de Monaco, which ran only over a 318 km distance. There was in place a libre or free formula, meaning no restrictions to weight and engine size, except the minimum engine capacity which was 1.1-liter. Additional regulations demanded a two-seater body with a minimum width of 100 cm, but no riding mechanics were allowed. Single seat racecars with narrower body width were also accepted. The fuel permitted up to 30% benzole mixed with commercial fuel. Two mechanics in addition to the driver were allowed to assist at pit stops.

The races:
The AIACR elevated this year's Monaco Grand Prix to the exclusive circle of the eight international Grands Prix; the so-called "Grandes Épreuves". Those events had the benefit of a certain privilege in regards of fixing dates. The CSI gave primary consideration to those events for next year's calendar. These races enjoyed a further privilege in that no other international event could take place on the same day. Because the title "Grand Prix" was demanded over the prior years by almost every circuit race, the CSI now felt obliged to rule more accurately on this term. The title of "Grand Prix" could only be granted to the most important race of each national Automobile Club affiliated with the AIACR. In 1933, the Grands Prix de Monaco, l'ACF, Belgium, Italy and Spain carried the same ranking of importance.
      Besides these traditional Grands Prix, the year 1933 brought the large number of ten further significant international races for grand prix cars, which were considered as major events, with great publicity and where the main contenders competed. As satisfactory as such a large amount of races appeared to be within one year, it also resulted in a hopeless dilution of the top contenders and an unwanted competition between events.
      An additional 21 regional races - including some of international character - were of less importance, mostly national or club events where the fields of grand prix cars were often mixed with those from minor formulae. The European Championship of 1932 was not repeated for 1933 but the Italian and Swiss A.C. held their own national automobile championships.
      At the beginning of the year Bugatti appeared to have the superior car with his proven 2300 cc Type 51 dating back to 1931. He won three great international races in succession. A serious opponent was always the 2600 cc Alfa Romeo that was originally 2300 cc before the Scuderia Ferrari bored out the engine. This car was successful several times mainly with Nuvolari behind the wheel. When, during the middle of the year, the Italian improved the 3000 cc Maserati monoposto, which until then had not been a truly established machine, he suddenly received a new car, which brought not only success to him but also to Maserati. Recognizing the latest Maserati success, Alfa Romeo shortly afterwards released all their monopostos to the Scuderia Ferrari. As soon as these cars appeared at the races, they drove from one victory to the next, which limited the victories for the rest of the season to the two Italian makes. The constructors did not try new designs in view of the new formula that would be in place in 1934. However, near the end of the year at San Sebastian Bugatti gave his new model, which was destined for the 1934 formula, a severe test but he had to rest content with mid-field places.
      In 1933 Italy had solidified its leading position in motor sport. Italian cars, as well as drivers, were setting the stage. Besides Italy, both France and Great Britain had a few excellent private drivers, who participated just for the fun in the sport. Several large circuit races were held in France, but they were mostly won by Italian drivers. In England racing was virtually restricted to Brooklands, the Isle of Man and Ireland.

Cancelled events:
The German Grand Prix, planned for 23. July at the Nürburgring, was postponed until October 1 and relocated to the Avus as the Preis von Berlin, since the new German racecars under construction would not have been ready to race by July. The AVUS was given preference, because it was expected that the German cars would find it easier to win at the Avus. But by August 8 the newly formed DDAC of Germany had decided to cancel due to insufficient entries being anticipated.


Factory Racing Teams:

Bugatti retained the services of Varzi who had driven for them in 1932. "Willie" Williams had raced 1932 as a private Bugatti driver. For 1933 he also joined the factory team with René Dreyfus another previously private driver. At the beginning of the year, Albert Divo was to remain manager of the team Ettore Bugatti, a position then filled by Meo Costantini at the few race appearances of the team. The factory started the 1933 season with their proven T51 model, with 2.3-liter 8-cylinder twin overhead cam engine for most races but also entered their 4.9-liter Type 54, which had been thoroughly revised since 1932. Their new Type 59, with 2.8-liter 8-cylinder twin overhead cam engine for the new 1934 formula was to appear at the French Grand Prix. But the car was not ready to race until the end of 1933 at the Spanish Grand Prix where these cars did not impress.

Maserati Brothers carried over from the previous year two 3-liter two-seater cars, the 8C 3000, of which they kept one and sold the other to Bernhard Rubin in England. For 1933 they built a very narrow monoposto chassis designated the 8CM, using the same proven 3-liter 8-cylinder engine. As was soon learned at the races, the monoposto had poor road holding, caused by too narrow and weak a chassis, which easily twisted under load. Only after the monoposto's chassis was stiffened to overcome distortions, could the full power of the 3-liter engine be applied, turning the car into a formidable weapon. This change of Maserati fortune took place at the Belgian Grand Prix.
      After the death of Alfieri Maserati in 1932 his brother Ernesto had taken over the direction of the factory. Maserati's strategy for 1933 was not to maintain an official team but leave every possibility open to alter between customer drivers. However, Fagioli initially remained as team captain for 1933 until he changed over to Scuderia Ferrari during July. Other independent drivers included Sommer, Zehender, Minozzi, Campari and Straight. When Nuvolari joined the Maserati ranks in mid year and Borzacchini and Taruffi weeks later, Fagioli and Campari left for Scuderia Ferrari.

Private Racing Teams and cars:

Scuderia Ferrari
Scuderia Ferrari inherited many drivers at the end of 1932 when Alfa Romeo had withdrawn from motor racing for financial reasons. To Ferrari's great dismay, they would not release to the Scuderia their very successful Tipo B/P3 monoposto racecars, which had been so dominating in 1932. Therefore, Enzo Ferrari's alternative was to modify the old 8C-2300 Monza models, of which he had six cars. He increased their engines to 2.6 liter capacity. But these cars were still insufficiently strong and robust to beat the faster Bugattis and improved Maserati monopostos. Due to the increased engine power during the later races these cars often broke down with rear axle final drive problems. Top drivers were Nuvolari and Borzacchini, who both left dissatisfied with Ferrari's cars at the end of July, driving then for Maserati. The Scuderia replaced both deserters with Fagioli as team leader, then added Campari and later Chiron. Once the Alfa Romeo factory realized why Nuvolari had left the Scuderia and saw the performance of the improved 8CM Maserati, they released their Tipo B Monoposto racecars from 1932 together with spares and some key technicians to Ferrari. With these cars Alfa Romeo was able to meet the challenge of the fast Maserati monoposto. The Scuderia normally ran their cars in Italy on Pirelli tires but due to lucrative contracts used Belgian Engleberts at the international events.

Scuderia C/C
Scuderia C/C (Chiron-Caracciola) was newly formed during the winter months by Louis Chiron and Rudolf Caracciola. They were considered formidable contenders with their Alfa Romeo Monzas. Chiron's car was painted dark-blue with a white horizontal stripe around the car and Caracciola's was white with a blue stripe. Earlier in the year, they had signed contracts in Milan to purchase two 2.3-liter Monza racing cars and one 2.3-liter Monza sports car. To these three cars they added the two 2.3-liter Bugatti racing cars previously belonging to Chiron. They had planned to start at all major circuit races and some international hill climbs, which meant that Caracciola would also be behind the wheel of a Bugatti. It was planned to enter the Alfa Romeo sports car for both drivers at the 24-hour races of Le Mans and Spa. Daimler-Benz placed at their disposal a large light-gray 2-ton truck as their racing transporter and Mrs. Charly Caracciola functioned as team manager. Their first race was the Monaco GP, where a bad practice crash kept Caracciola out of racing for the rest of the year. The team was dissolved and for a while Chiron raced on his own. During August he joined the Scuderia Ferrari.

Scuderia Centro-Sud
Scuderia Centro-Sud (Racing Team Friedrich) in Nice had Count Czaykowski and "Benoît" (Benoît Falchetto) as drivers. They acquired a new 8-cylinder 1500 cc Bugatti to drive in North-Africa, Germany and England. The young French driver Jean-Pierre Wimille, who wanted to enlist as a member, could not reach an agreement with the team manager. Therefore he remained an independent Alfa Romeo driver for 1933 and teamed up with Raymond Sommer.

Scuderia Villars-Waldthausen
Scuderia Villars-Waldthausen, also known just as Scuderia Villars, was formed 1932 by Karl Baron Horst von Waldthausen and Julio Villars in Versoix near Geneva. While Waldthausen started with a 1750 Alfa sports car, an Alfa Romeo Monza racecar and a Steyr sports car, Villars raced a BNC 1100cc sports car and an Alfa Monza in the racing class, both at local events and Mont Ventoux. At the end of the season Waldthausen and Villars came fifth and sixth respectively in the sports car class of the 1932 Swiss Championship.
      For 1933 the team still had the 1750cc Alfa sports car, two 2.3-liter Alfa Romeo Monza racecars and an Alfa Romeo Monza sports car. Villars also drove his 2.3-liter 8-cylinder Villars Special at Swiss events. In July 1933, Dr. Josef Karrer from Zürich joined the Equipe with his new Maserati. After the tragic death of Baron von Waldthausen on August 27, 1933, Jules Villars did not participate in the remaining races of 1933.

PBM (Premoli Bugatti Maserati) was a car constructed by Italian Count Luigi (Gigi) Premoli and engineered by Egidio Galimberti, who combined a 2.3-liter Bugatti grand prix car chassis, gearbox and wheels with a 2.5-liter, 8-cyl. Maserati engine and front grill for 1932. At the 1932 Montenero Circuit Race he had a serious crash but was fully recuperated for 1933. The car was thoroughly reworked and improved for 1933 with a 3-liter 8-cyl. Maserati engine. This machine was also called BMP, BPM, MBP or Maserati Special.

MB-Speciale or Biondetti Speciale was another hybrid by Clemente Biondetti, utilizing a Bugatti chassis with a 3-liter 8-cylinder Maserati engine.

Pietro Ghersi
Pietro Ghersi Racing Team had its base in Genova, Italy. The team started with a 2.3-liter Bugatti, a 1.1-liter Maserati monoposto, (which was the minimum engine size allowed in F-libre) and a 2.3-liter Alfa Romeo. When the team was formed in the middle of March, Ghersi was the only driver.

Raymond Sommer
Raymond Sommer had teamed up with Zehender at the beginning of the year when both were driving Maserati monopostos at Tunis and Monaco. After experiencing uncorrectable handling problems with his monoposto at Tunis and Monaco, Sommer sold his Maserati, which first went in April to Nuvolari and then passed on to Taruffi in August. Sommer, who had good results with Alfa Romeo during 1932, changed back to Alfa Romeo, bought a 2.3-liter Monza, separated from the Equipe with Zehender and teamed up with another young French Alfa Romeo driver, Jean-Pierre Wimille.

Juan Zanelli
Juan Zanelli, the 1931 European Hill Climb Champion in a Nacional-Pescara had a quiet year in 1932. He started again in 1933 after buying the Alfa Romeo, in which Raymond Sommer had won the 1932 Le Mans 24-Hour race and the Marseille GP. Zanelli overhauled the car and started at the Grand Prix of Tunis, l'ACF, Penya Rhin, Marne and Spain.


1933 was a black year with over 20 dead, in addition to the many injured. AAA National Champion Bob Carey died in a crash at Ascot Park, Gardena, California on April 16. Rudolf Caracciola lay in hospital with a compound fracture of the thigh after his Monaco practice crash on April 20, which kept him from the race track for a whole year. American Indy driver Bryan Saulpaugh died on April 22 a sprint car race in Oakland, California. Frédéric Toselli died May 5 following his crash with his Bugatti T37A during practice for the Val de Cuech hill climb on April 30, while his mechanic, Jacques Peltran died in the crash. Otto Merz crashed to his death at practice for the Avusrennen on May 19. Louis Trintignant and Guy Bouriat died in crashes at the training for the Picardy Grand Prix at Péronne and the race itself on May 20 and May 21 respectively. On May 21 during the Indy qualifying, driver Bill Denver and Hugh (Bob) Hurst, his mechanic, were killed when their car jumped the wall at the NE turn. On May 30 at the Indy 500 race on lap 80, Mark Billman crashed and died one hour later. On June 21 Italian driver Albino Pratesi died following injuries received at the Florence Circuit race on June 11. Aldo Giovannini, the famous Alfa Romeo team manager and one of the best there had ever been, died end of June at Professor Putti's clinic in Bologna gravely ill from kidney failure. Pierre de Viscaya, the famous Spanish racing driver, who belonged to the official Bugatti-Equipe from 1921 to 1924, was killed in a traffic accident in Paris on July 15, 1933. He was with Count Trossi of Scuderia Ferrari, when his car collided at high speed with another car. Trossi got away with lighter injuries, while de Viscaya was very seriously hurt and died after a few hours. Nino Grassi died at Pontedecimo-Giovi hill climb, near Genova on June 18. Sir Henry "Tim" Birkin died in Countess Carnarvon Nursing Home in London on June 22, 1933, following the burns to his arm at Tripoli on May 7; the wound had turned septic and he suffered from a malaria attack. At the Swedish Summer Grand Prix on August 6, Börje Dahlin's Swedish riding mechanic, Erik Lafrenz, was thrown from the car in a crash, then fatally run over by Bennström. On August 19 J. P Warren's riding mechanic J. Gordon was killed when their Bugatti hit a tree and turned over during practice for B.R.D.C. 500 Mile race at Brooklands. Baron Horst von Waldthausen died on August 27 in the Salon-de-Provence Hôpital, a few hours after a crash at the Marseille Grand Prix. As if this was not enough, the Black Sunday of Monza on September 10, 1933, robbed the sport of the lives of popular Cavalliere Giuseppe Campari, Mario Umberto Borzacchini and Count Stanisłas Czaykowski in crashes at the same curve. Maurice Watson died on September 16 in his MG Midget at Brooklands. On October 8 the well-known Italian Guido d'Ippolito died instantly near Altamura during the Coppa Principessa di Piemonte when in a turn he hit a carriage at full speed the pole of which struck his head.

Lehoux (Bugatti)Moll (Bugatti)Etancelin (Alfa Romeo)


Circuit de Pau (F), 19 February 1933.
80 laps x 2.649 km (1.646 mi) = 211.92 km (131.7 mi)


2Stanisłas CzaykowskiCount CzaykowskiBugattiT51C2.0S-8
4Philippe EtancelinP. EtancelinAlfa RomeoMonza2.3S-8
6Marcel LehouxM. LehouxBugattiT512.3S-8
8Honoré LormandH. LormandBugattiT35C2.0S-8
10Raoul MiquelR. MiquelBugattiT512.3S-8DNA
12Jean DelormeJ. DelormeBugattiT35C2.0S-8
14Louis TrintignantL. TrintignantBugattiT35C2.0S-8
16Pierre FélixP.FélixAlfa RomeoMonza2.3S-8
18Guy MollG. MollBugattiT35C2.0S-8
20Benoît FalchettoB. FalchettoBugattiT512.3S-8
22Paul MorandP. MorandBugattiT35B2.3S-8
24Robert BrunetR. BrunetBugattiT512.3S-8
26René DreyfusAutomobiles E. BugattiBugattiT512.3S-8
28Jean GaupillatJ. GaupillatBugattiT512.3S-8
30Jean de Maleplane J. de MaleplaneMaserati26M2.5S-8
32Jean-Pierre WimilleJ.-P. WimilleAlfa RomeoMonza2.3S-8DNS -
34Marcel JacobM. JakobBugattiT35C2.0S-8
36Guy BouriatG. BouriatBugattiT512.3S-8

Lehoux wins the Battle in the Snow.

by Leif Snellman
The first Grand Prix on the Pau street circuit was held under horrible conditions with snow falling during the early part of the race. Guy Moll controlled the early laps until he had to make a pit stop handing the lead to his countryman Marcel Lehoux, who had drawn a starting position far back on the grid, which forced him to advance through the whole field on his way to victory.
The town of Pau in the French Pyrenees had Grand Prix traditions leading as far back as 1901, when the town arranged the first motor race ever to be called a Grand Prix.
      The 1928 French GP was held at the nearby town of St. Gaudens. Inspired by their great success the Automobile Club Basco Béarnais (ACBB) under the impulse of its general secretary George Charaudeau suggested that Pau should arrange the 1930 French Grand Prix. A triangular Le Mans type course outside the city was selected. Known as the Circuit de Morlaas, the course was some 16 km long. That proved to be too long to achieve good race control and provide spectator arrangements and the event was an economic disaster.
      Far from being felt beaten the ACBB made a new attempt in 1933. Learning from their mistakes they this time decided to follow the concept introduced at Monaco in 1929, and followed up by Nîmes and Nice, with a tight city circuit that demanded relatively easy spectator arrangements.
      The track selected for 1933 was but for one sector identical to the one that would become legendary in years to come. From 1935 onwards the track would go round the Parc Beaumont, but in 1933 after Virage de Lycee the track turned right at the statue of d'Artagnan and then continued in front of the Palais d'Hiver (Casino) and continued through the south side of the park. After a sharp bend (Réparatrices) near the Foch Statue the course continued the well known way through a hairpin at Virage de Buisson to Avenue du General Poeymirau and the Avenue du Bois Louis, took a double turn at the railway station and continued upwards along Avenue Léon Say through the tunnel at Point Oscar and finally back to Virage de Lycee. The pits were positioned opposite the Palais, with the timing box and scoreboard nearby as was also the start/finish line. The main grandstand was at the casino but there were others at the hairpin and the station corner as well.
      The length of the track was 2,649 m compared to the 2,769 m variant used from 1935 - 1939, the 2,795 m variant from 1947 - 1948, the 2,743 m variant from 1949 - 1951, the 2,760 m variant from 1952? - 1981 and the 2,834 m variant from 1982 onwards.
      Pau was to be the opening race for the Grand Prix season and 19 February was selected as time for the event. It is a very early date for an European race but Pau tried to maintain its reputation as a winter health resort. The race was part of a great automobile week festival that included several other events, both motoring and non motoring related.
There was a decent entry list for the race with most of the French elite present. However, the only works entry was Bugatti with a T51 for Dreyfus. All the other entries were privateers.
      Wimille, Etancelin and Félix each entered an Alfa Romeo Monza, the last mentioned with a "Felix the Cat" cartoon painted on the cockpit side. Jean de Maleplane entered a Maserati M26 while the rest of the entry list consisted of no less than 13 Bugattis.
      According to Michael Müller, Benoît Falchetto continued racing the T51 (#51127) bought for him by Mlle. Saquier from Nice back in September 1931. But there is some confusion regarding of what types the other Bugattis were. Pierre Darmendrail lists all Bugattis as T51s except Czaykowski (T51A incorrectly ) but admits there is not much information available about the cars of Lormand, Delorme, Morand or Jacob.
      Paul Sheldon lists Lormand in a T35, but he had raced a T35C during 1930 - 1933 in several races so T35C seems to be correct. Sheldon also lists T35Cs for Delorme, Louis Trintignant and Jacob and T35Bs for Brunet (but it should probably be a T51) and Morand.
Practice, free admission for the spectators, started off at Friday in fine conditions. Ten drivers took the opportunity to learn the new track. Lehoux and Etancelin were fastest with times of 1m56s and Czaykowski was three seconds slower. The others were unable to beat the two minute barrier.
      Then the weather conditions changed. During Saturday practice it was cold and rainy and the drivers were struggling to come even close to their previously set times. Lehoux was again fastest but seven seconds slower than on Friday. The final list of combined times looked like this:
      Lehoux 1m56s, Etancelin 1m56s, Czaykowski 1m59s, Moll 2m02s, Jacob 2m03s, Morand 2m03s, Lormand 2m03s, Dreyfus 2m03s, Trintignant 2m04s, Bouriat 2m04s, Wimille 2m07s, Gaupillat 2m10s, de Maleplane 2m10s and Brunet 2m15s.
In the evening snow started to fall. It was a heavy, wet spring snow that first turned the parks white and then continued to settle on the streets and pavements. In the morning the city of Pau was covered by a beautiful white blanket. A vast enthusiastic crowd started to fill up all the positions along the pavements.
      The ACBB was uncertain how to proceed but after holding discussions with the drivers the parties finally came to an agreement. The race would go on. A race on an autodrome can if needed be delayed by a day but that is almost impossible to arrange on a city street track. The snow had been cleaned off the streets as well as it was possible to do and the streets had been salted so that there would be less risk for ice. Wimille was a late non starter so 16 cars lined up on the street next to the casino. (Lehoux might have been advanced to Wimille's starting spot, but there is no hard proof of that it happened.)
Pole Position

Alfa Romeo





de Maleplane









Alfa Romeo

















* Wimille

At 2 p.m. Charles Faroux , the legendary sports reporter and race organizer, dropped the flag and Moll took the lead followed by Félix, Czaykowski, Etancelin Gaupillat, de Maleplane, Dreyfus and Falchetto. The snow was still falling hard and visibility was extremely bad. Moll immediately used his leading position to open up a gap while Félix was struggling, which meant that there was a queue of cars building up behind him. Falchetto was already out of the race with mechanical trouble and Delorme had made an early pit stop.
      After two or three laps the beautiful white streets weren't there anymore. Instead there were two dark water filled tracks dug up by the wheels surrounded by brown-gray messy mix of snow, salt, dirt and gravel. These conditions are hard enough for an ordinary car but racing cars have of course no mudguards or screen wipers. The slush flew high in the air, it blocked the windscreens and the drivers' goggles, it found its way and blocked every opening on the car. There was no time for heroic passing maneuvers. The drivers rather tried their best to keep themselves on the track hoping for the driver in front to do a mistake, go wide and give a chance to pass.
      Czaykowski and Etancelin found a way past Félix but were then unable to close in on leading Moll who was make ing steady 2m10s laps. Lehoux, who drew a bad starting position and had found himself at the back of the field, had begun the hard process of advancing towards the front. He was assisted by the fact that drivers now started to make frequent pit stops. Dreyfus had problems with his eyes and was forced to stop several times. On lap 11 Etancelin pitted from his third position as he had to have snow removed from his plug leads. He lost two laps to Moll and fell down to 13th while Gaupillat took over the third position.
      Lehoux made great progress and his 16th lap was the fastest of the race thus far. By lap 20 he had reached fourth position behind Moll, Chaikowsky and Gaupillat.
      At 20 laps the order was:
1. Moll (Bugatti)44m41s
2. Czaykowski (Bugatti)43m56s
3. Gaupillat (Bugatti)44m07s
4. Lehoux (Bugatti)44m57s
5. de Maleplane (Maserati)45m31s
6. Bouriat (Bugatti)45m33s
7. Morand (Bugatti)45m49s
8. Trintignant (Bugatti)45m51s
9. Dreyfus (Bugatti)47m10s
10. Lombard (Bugatti)47m37s
11. Etancelin (Alfa Romeo)
12. Jacob (Bugatti)
13. Delorme (Bugatti)
14. Felix (Alfa Romeo)

On lap 25 the snow finally stopped falling and visibility became better while the track conditions became, just worse. That did not seem to hinder Lehoux, who soon caught Gaupillat and passed him for third. On lap 30 it was Czaykowski's turn to be passed by Lehoux and for a moment there was a double Algerian lead in the race. Immediately afterwards however Moll made a pit stop and fell back to third position. Lombard and Brunet had retired, so there were 13 cars still on the track where the sun now had started to shine.
      At 35 laps Lehoux had opened up a half a minute gap to a struggling Czaykowski, who had Moll right behind him. In the horrifying conditions it took Moll a long time to find a way past and when he finally managed to do it, the gap to the leader had grown to one minute. Etancelin was on his way towards the front again after his early pit stop and made the fastest lap of the race. After 40 laps he was up to tenth place.
1. Lehoux (Bugatti)1h27m56s
2. Moll (Bugatti)1h28m29s
3. Czaykowski (Bugatti)1h29m03s
4. Bouriat (Bugatti)1h29m07s
5. Gaupillat (Bugatti)1h29m16s
6. Morand (Bugatti)1h30m03s
7. Trintignant (Bugatti)1h30m09s
8. Dreyfus (Bugatti)1h30m37s
9. de Maleplane (Maserati)1h30m58s
10. Etancelin (Alfa Romeo)1h31m16s
11. Jacob (Bugatti)1h32m11s
12. Felix (Alfa Romeo)1h41m12s
13. Delorme (Bugatti)

On lap 45 Czaykowski had to give way to Bouriat as well. Bouriat took up the chase on Moll and closed the gap down to a few seconds but then he got dirt in his eyes and had to slow down. On lap 50 Gaupillat and Morand were out of the race. Etancelin and Dreyfus were putting in a great spurt and passed Chaykowski after having both equalled the lap record severl times. Then Etancelin went down to 2m03s and on lap 58 made the fastest lap of the race with a time of 2m01s.
      Situation after 60 laps:
1. Lehoux (Bugatti)2h11m14s
2. Moll (Bugatti)2h12m02s
3. Bouriat (Bugatti)2h12m40s
4. Etancelin (Alfa Romeo)2h13m05s?
5. Dreyfus (Bugatti)2h13m16s
6. Czaykowski (Bugatti)2h13m27s
7. Trintignant (Bugatti)2h14m14s
8. de Maleplane (Maserati)2h19m58s
9. Jacob (Bugatti)2h21m33s
10. Delorme (Bugatti)

Czaikowski and Felix retired. Etancelin and Dreyfus advanced to third and fourth as Bouriat made a pit stop to clean his eyes. Etancelin, cheered on by the spectators, now took up the chase on Moll with Dreyfus still following him.
      During the last 20 laps the positions remained the same except for the fact that Czaykowski and Félix retired. Lehoux kept up his one minute lead to take the flag with Moll second to take a double "Algerian" victory and Etancelin came third. He had closed in but was still 18 s behind at the finish.



1.6Marcel LehouxM. LehouxBugattiT512.3S-8802h54m06.8s
2.18Guy MollG. MollBugattiT35C2.0S-8802h55m06.6s+ 59.8s
3.4Philippe EtancelinP. EtancelinAlfa RomeoMonza2.3S-8802h55m24.2s+ 1m17.4s
4.26René DreyfusAutomobiles E. BugattiBugattiT512.3S-8802h55m46.0s+ 1m39.2s
5.36Guy BouriatG. BouriatBugattiT512.3S-8802h56m50.0s+ 2m43.2s
6.14Louis TrintignantL. TrintignantBugattiT35C2.0S-879
7.30Jean de Maleplane J. de MaleplaneMaserati26M2.5S-876
8.34Marcel JacobM. JakobBugattiT35C2.0S-875
9.12Jean DelormeJ. DelormeBugattiT35C2.0S-862
DNF2Stanisłas CzaykowskiCount CzaykowskiBugattiT51C2.0S-855rear axle
DNF16Pierre FélixP.FélixAlfa RomeoMonza2.3S-855mechanical
DNF22Paul MorandP. MorandBugattiT35B2.3S-850mechanical
DNF28Jean GaupillatJ. GaupillatBugattiT512.3S-850mechanical
DNF8Honoré LormandH. LormandBugattiT35C2.0S-830gearbox
DNF24Robert BrunetR. BrunetBugattiT512.3S-830crash
DNF20Benoît FalchettoB. FalchettoBugattiT35B2.3S-80mechanical
Fastest lap: Philippe Etancelin (Alfa Romeo) on lap 58 in 2m01.0s = 78.8 km/h (49.0 mph)
Winner's medium speed: 73.0 km/h (45.4 mph)
Weather: Snowing until lap 25.
In retrospect:
Hardly has any Grand Prix race ever been run under more curious weather conditions than Pau in 1933. According to the drivers it was also one of the most physically demanding and painful event they had taken part in. Especially their faces had been hit hard by the slush.
      The race proved to be a kind of breakthrough for Moll. He had been third at Marseille back in 1932 but in that race he had been four laps behind the winner.
      Because of the poor weather conditions the 1933 race was no economic success. However, the organizers had taken the precaution by signing an insurance and they knew that this time the concept had been correct. After a one year pause Pau would be back in the Grand Prix calendar and remain there for a long time.


© 2017 Leif Snellman, Hans Etzrodt - Last updated: 06.08.2017